October is in full swing in Chicago, and you know what that means – it’s time to get ~spooky~.
And whether you’re a horror buff or a regular scaredy-cat, there’s no better way to get into the spirit of the season than with a good ol’ fashioned movie marathon. Or two.
So snuggle up to your main squeeze and grab a bucket of popcorn. View our list of scary movies in theaters this October to attend in Chicago.
An annual celebration of the all best ghouls, ghosts, and goblins of the silver screen, Logan Square’s indie theater is showing late-night scary October movies to prepare you for Halloween.
See the full schedule of events, below:
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920): October 4 at 10:30 pm w/Live Organist
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): October 4-7 at 11 pm
- Candyman (1992): October 5-7 at 10:30 pm
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): October 8-10 at 10:30 pm
- Hausu (1977): October 8-10 at 11 pm
- The Thing (1982): October 11-14 at 10:30 pm
- Friday The 13th (1980): October 11-14 at 11 pm
- Poltergeist (1982): October 15-17 at 10:30 pm
- The Last House on the Left (1972): October 15-17 at 11 pm
- Beetlejuice (1988): Oct 18-21 at 10:30 pm (Costume Pre-Party on the 18th at 8 pm!)
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974): October 18-21 at 11 pm
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968): October 22-24 at 10:30 pm
- Night of the Living Dead (1968): October 22-24 at 11 pm
- The Exorcist (1973) Director’s Cut: October 25-28 at 10:30 pm
- Evil Dead II (1987): October 25-28 at 11 pm
- Halloween Double Feature (1978 + 2018): October 29-31 at 9 pm
Music Box Theatre
If you’re looking for scary movies in theaters throughout Chicago, visit the Lakeview Music Box Theatre on October 19 – 20 to enjoy 24-hours of straight-up, horrifying fun. Tickets are $30 ahead of time or $35 at the door and discounted for members.
You can check out the scary movies lineup here:
- 12:00 pm – THE MAN WHO LAUGHS – 1928 | 110 min. | Dir. Paul Leni | 35mm – Featuring a live musical score by Maxx McGathey
- 2:00 pm – OFFICE KILLER – 1997 | 82 min. | Dir. Cindy Sherman | 35mm Print Courtesy of UCLA Film & Television Archive
- 3:45 pm – LET’S SCARE JESSICA TO DEATH – 1971 | 89 min. | Dir. John Hancock| 16mm – Dir. John Hancock in Attendance for a Post-Film Q&A
- 5:45 pm – A TRIBUTE TO LARRY COHEN
- 6:00 pm – DEMONS 2 – 1986 | 88 min. | Dir. Lamberto Bava | 35mm
- 7:55 pm – BLOODY MUSCLE BODY BUILDER IN HELL – 1992 | 62 min. | Dir. Shinichi Fukazawa | Blu-Ray
- 9:15 pm – DOG SOLDIERS – 2002 | 105 min. | Dir. Neil Marshall | 35mm – Dir. Neil Marshall in Attendance for a Post-Film Q&A
- 11:45 pm – EVENT HORIZON – 1997 | 96 min. | Dir. Paul W.S. Anderson | 35mm
- 1:30 am – RETRIBUTION – 1987 | 107 min. | Dir. Guy Magar | UCLA 35mm | Director’s Personal Print!
- 3:30 am – ALLIGATOR – 1980 | 91 min. | Dir. Lewis Teague | 35mm
- 5:15 am – TETSUO: THE IRON MAN – 1989 | 67 min. | Dir. Shin’ya Tsukamoto | DCP
- 6:45 am – HALLOWEEN II – 1981 | 92 min. | Dir. Rick Rosenthal | 35mm
- 8:30 am – THE FLY II – 1989 | 105 min. | Dir. Chris Walas | 35mm
- 10:30 am – BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER – 1992 | 86 min. | Dir. Fran Rubel Kuzui | DCP
Music Box Theatre
Enjoy the nostalgic magic of Hocus Pocus and shout, sing, cheer and scream along with the movie during an interactive screening of the film. Guests receive a candy-filled Goody Bag and are encouraged to dress in costume. Tickets are $12 for general admission.
Music Box Theatre
If you’re looking for a scary movies in theaters throughout Chicago, we recommend visiting the Music Box Theatre on October 25 (Halloween night) to enjoy midnight and 10 pm showings of the cult classic Rocky Horror Picture Show, where actors shadow cast the film in the stage fronting the screen. It’s an interactive Halloween experience you don’t want to miss! You can pick up your virgin kit upon arrival for just $3 (but don’t throw things at the screen, please).
Think ‘movie in the parks’ meets ‘horror film marathon’ and you’ve got Campfire Horrors at Northerly Island. A month-long scary movie series showing all the classics alongside a roaring campfire. And yes, marshmallows will be provided.
See the schedule here:
- Friday, October 11 @ 7 pm – Misery (1990)
- Friday, October 18 @ 7 pm – Shaun of the Dead (2004)
- Friday, October 18 @ 8:45 pm – I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997)
- Friday, October 25 @ 7 pm – Interview With the Vampire (1993)
Every Wednesday through November 13, Replay Lakeview is hosting a viewing party for American Horror Story’s latest endeavor: 1984. Drag queen Claire Voyant hosts performances, trivia, giveaways, and guests every week for a spooky viewing party you won’t forget.
Scary movies not really your thing? No worries! Learn more about the Halloween events around town with our Ultimate Halloween Guide.
At UrbanMatter, U Matter. And we think this matters.
Tell us what you think matters in your neighborhood and what we should write about next in the comments below!