No time for long intros. You’re here because you need a passport, and you need one now.
First off, don’t panic. You’ll need to work quickly, but you should be fine to travel within the next couple days if necessary.
You’ll need to go to the Chicago Passport Agency, the address is as follows:
Kluczynski Federal Building
230 S. Dearborn Street, 18th Floor
Chicago, IL 60604-1564
Now before you close this and beeline it over to the agency, know that you’ll need to schedule an appointment to have any chance of accomplishing anything. They WILL NOT see you unless you have an appointment, and you’ll only be able to schedule one if you’re traveling internationally in less than two weeks.
To schedule an appointment, call the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778. You can call at any time, as this is a 24-hour line.
Appointments are available from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. The office doesn’t open until 10:00 am on Thursdays, and it is NOT open on the weekends or Federal holidays.
Now, it’s important to note that you’ll need to pass through a metal detector before gaining access to the building. We recommend scheduling an appointment either early or late to avoid the peak hours in the middle of the day. The wait could take as long as an hour or two, so show up early and have all of your documentation with you.
- Appointments are required at all passport agencies. There is no charge to make an appointment at a passport agency and customers should not pay anyone or any business making such a charge.
- You must pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to application fees to apply at this agency.
- Proof of travel is required when applying at this agency. You must provide a hard copy of your itinerary or other proof of travel.
- Will call service is offered for life or death emergencies and immediate travel abroad (leaving within 8 business days). The agency will advise you when the passport will be ready for pickup at will call based on your documented travel plans.
- For all other customers, passports will be issued within 8 business days of applying at the agency. During your appointment, the agency will advise how the passport will be sent to you.
What to Bring:
- Appointment confirmation number
- Proof of travel
- Completed forms
- All required supporting documents
- A major Credit Card, Debit/Check card (not ATM cards), Check, Bank Draft, Cash (Exact Change), or Money Order to cover the application and expedited fees
If You’re Looking to Drive:
Parking is available at 318 S. Federal St., literally right around the corner (.1 miles away) from the Passport Agency. You can reserve a spot online to make sure you’re covered.
The Chicago Passport Agency is open Mon, Tues, Wed, and Fri from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. Thursdays from 10:00 am to 3:30 pm. You can find more info at their official site.
Photo Credit: The Huffington Post.