Millennium Park Announced as the #1 Attraction in the Midwest
The park ranked as one of the top 10 most visited sites in the U.S.
A recent announcement from the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events shared that Millennium Park is now the number one attraction in the Midwest region. After analyzing attendance numbers measured with passive electronic sensor technology, the city recorded 12.9 million visitors to the park in just the second half of 2016 alone.
“Millennium Park has become part of the cultural fabric of Chicago, bringing children and families together from all parts of the city to experience world-class culture for free,” said Mayor Rahm Emanuel. “With 12.9 million visitors to the Park in just the second half of 2016, I am proud to see it become the #1 attraction in the Midwest.”
Millennium Park now sits among famous sites like Central Park and the National Mall due to its massive tourism appeal. The park, which opened in 2004, has many notable features such as Cloud Gate (The Bean), Crown Fountain, the Jay Pritzker Pavilion, and the Lurie Garden. It’s focus on free events and inclusive, diversified programming has made it highly accessible and desirable to both locals and out-of-towners from all walks of life.
“We invite the citizens of the world to come experience this state-of-the-art collection of art, architecture, gardens and design that provides the backdrop for hundreds of free cultural events this summer,” said Mark Kelly, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events.
The announcement also noted that the park was a major factor in the record-breaking tourism Chicago saw last year when it welcomed over 54 million visitors.
Upcoming events at Millennium Park include:
- Chicago House Music Celebration: Saturday, May 27
- 32nd Chicago Gospel Music Festival: June 2 – 3
- 34th Annual Chicago Blues Festival: June 9 – 11
- Millennium Park Summer Music Series: June 12 – August 21, Mondays & Thursdays
- Millennium Park Summer Film Series: June 13 – August 30, Tuesdays
- SummerDance Celebration: Saturday, August 26
- 4th Annual Fifth Star Honors: Monday, August 28
- 39th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival: August 31 – September 3
- 19th Annual World Music Festival: Saturday, September 9 & Saturday, September 16
- Grant Park Music Festival: June 14 – August 19
- Millennium Park Presents: May 26 – October 1 (select dates)
- Make Music Chicago: Wednesday, June 21
- Summer Workouts: June 3 – September 2, Saturdays