Residents of the north side of Old Town likely recognize the familiar ringing bell of the Midwest Buddhist Temple. Located on Menomonee Street, the Temple was founded in 1944 as one of the Midwest’s first Buddhist temples. Many of the original members were Japanese-Americans moving east after leaving World War II internment camps. Midwest Buddhist Temple moved to its current location in 1971, just blocks from its original site. The facility has a diverse, dedicated following and features classic architecture and historic artifacts. Also known as the Temple of Enlightenment, it is a widely recognized Old Town landmark.