‘Tis the season of giving back
From food drives to coat drives to creative gift-giving opportunities, there are countless ways to give back in Chicago, and it’s needed now more than ever. Spread holiday cheer to those in need by participating in one of these inspiring donation and volunteer programs.
- Turkey For Me, Turkey for You at Lorraine Hansberry Senior Apartments – Cook and serve a Thanksgiving meal to a senior citizen community.
- Thanksgiving at Deborah’s Place – Cook and serve a Thanksgiving meal to a homeless women’s shelter.
- Warm Up Chicago – Donate hats, gloves, and other cold weather clothing to underserved children, adults, and seniors at citywide locations.
Greater Chicago Food Depository
- 1 City, 1 Food Drive – Program that works with over 500 food pantries and over 250 public donation locations to collect food during the holidays.
Chicago Broadcast Drives
- NBC5/Telemundo Chicago Coat Drive – Donate new or gently used coats to various locations throughout the city for the Salvation Army.
- WGN Morning News Toy Drive – Participate in WGN-TV’s annual drive-thru toy drive on December 22.
Children’s Home + Aid
- Snug Hugs for Kids – Donate new or gently used winter clothing to infants through 18 year-olds, or participate in a Crochet and Knit-a-Thon on November 5 to craft winter accessories for the Snug Hugs for Kids drive.
- Adopt-a-Family, Stuff-a-Stocking – Provide items from a wish list for a family in need in the Adopt-a-Family program, or provide smaller items for stockings for adults and children in residential housing in the Stuff-a-Stocking program.
- U.S. Marines Toys for Tots Drive – Bring new, unwrapped toys to home games on December 3, 11, 17 and 18.
Child Link Chicago
- Annual Holiday Toy Drive – Donate new, unwrapped toys and games to infants through adolescents before 5pm on December 2.
Lurie Children’s Hospital
- Toy & Gift Donations – Donate a toy or gift for infants through adolescents, and see their wish list to reference current needs.
Meals on Wheels Chicago
- Holiday Card Drive – Create or purchase hand-signed holiday cards that will be distributed with holiday meals to seniors and disabled citizens.
- Annual Winter Coat Drive – Donate new or gently used winter coats to adults and children in need from November 21 – December 30.
- Thanksgiving Donations – Shop at Jewel stores on Lincoln and Cullom and on Roscoe and Western and donate toward meals for families for the holidays.
- Winter Essentials Drive – Donate new or gently used cold weather clothing to adults and children in need. Individual drives can be organized at schools, churches, and community centers.
Irving Park Community Food
- Christmas Gifts and Coat Drive – Volunteer to help distribute collected Christmas gifts and coats during the holidays.
The Friendship Center
- Ongoing volunteer and donation opportunities – Make a donation or register for a group volunteer session next month.