Start a new festive tradition at Taliesin West in Scottsdale, Frank Lloyd Wright’s winter home and studio, at the first-ever Home for the Holidays experience, presented by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, on two consecutive weekends in December featuring a variety of special activities, crafts, holiday music, and performances.
From 4-8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 9-10 and Dec. 16-17, guests will have the opportunity to explore and learn about the rich history of the UNESCO World Heritage site while participating in an array of merry celebrations, including:
- -Admire the Community Gingerbread House Showcase which will feature spectacular gingerbread houses crafted by local families, individuals, businesses, and organizations. To get involved, individuals are encouraged to fill out the registration form and check the rules to participate. All entries are due by Friday, Dec. 9. Those who partake in the showcase will have their gingerbread houses on display during Home for the Holidays, as well as will receive one free ticket to the event.
- -Get creative at the crafting stations by building and decorating 3D house ornaments, turning collage materials into wearable buttons, and by trying block printing techniques to make homemade holiday cards featuring unique Taliesin West designs.
- -Enjoy live music to get into the holiday spirit with performances by the Scottsdale Community College Jazz Students, School of Rock, and The King’s Carolers.
- -Stop by the Cabaret Theater to catch a glimpse of some heart-warming holiday cartoons from the Wright’s time, including “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, “Jack Frost” and “Christmas Comes but Once a Year.”
- -Grab a sweet treat or a warm cup of hot cocoa from a local food truck at the Garden Squares.
- Visitors looking to find unique gifts and stocking stuffers for friends and family can stop by the Frank Lloyd Wright Store to browse through the selection of home décor, apparel, accessories, books and art that celebrate Wright’s life and the work that he inspired.
- -Before heading home, get a polaroid picture taken at the photo booth station with props, holiday décor, and the warm glow of Taliesin West’s Garden Room lights to capture fond memories.
- The price of admission is $25 for adults, $15 for kids 6 to 18, and free for children 5 and under.
Wright, his family, and his apprentices celebrated many holidays here over the course of the two decades that they migrated between Taliesin in Wisconsin and Taliesin West in Arizona,” said Alex Freyermuth, the manager of cultural programs at the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation. “We want to capture that magic and share that with the community when they come to visit us for Home for the Holidays. This will be a great opportunity for visitors to see the grounds in a new way, as well as to create unforgettable and cherished memories with their loved ones.
About the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, established by Wright in 1940, is dedicated to preserving Taliesin and Taliesin West, both on the UNESCO World Heritage List, for future generations, and inspiring people to discover and embrace architecture for better living through meaningful connections to nature, the arts, and each other. The Foundation continues the Frank Lloyd Wright legacy by broadening access to his ideas, works, and organic design principles — considered just as relevant today as in his own time — and provides new pathways for audiences to create beauty and connectedness in their own lives. Conveniently located 20 minutes north of historic Old Town Scottsdale, Taliesin West was recently named among the top 10% of attractions worldwide by TripAdvisor. Visit FrankLloydWright.org for more information on tour schedules, cultural and educational experiences, and events. To shop the latest Wright-inspired home, design, and lifestyle products, visit FrankLloydWrightStore.com.