These days, it is quite difficult to imagine any office or work area without a desk. This piece of furniture not only determines the comfort level but also affects health and performance throughout the day. The issue appears to have been completely resolved with the introduction of a standing desk in the office environment. However, to benefit from such a workstation, you must first select the appropriate one!
People used to use traditional executive desks for all tasks, but that is no longer the case. There are dozens of desk modifications on the market these days, ranging from a Hi-Tech solution to an L-shaped standing desk. The desk is frequently an expensive purchase. As a result, before purchasing any, you should learn as much as you can about it.
What Should I Look For When Buying A Standing Desk?
It is no longer a secret that prolonged sitting is bad for your posture and health. A standing desk is an excellent solution that improves both your daily productivity and your well-being.
Its key advantages include:
- Increased attention and focus;
- Faster metabolism;
- Decreased fatigue level;
- Better posture;
- Reduced back and neck pains;
- Reduction in the risk of obesity;
- Lower risk of cardiovascular diseases.
If you are going to replace your traditional workstation with a more advanced solution, here are the features to consider:
The first step in acquiring the ideal workstation is deciding on a desk design. Of course, if you have a lot of space, picking out a desk will be simple. If your office space is limited, however, you will have to measure everything to the centimetre.
In this case, you will need to consider various types of desks to fit the space:
- Classic converter.
Desk Surface Area
A lack of workspace is one of the most pressing concerns for most office workers. In addition to the computer/laptop, the desk should have enough space to work with documents. The standing desk construction industry solves the problem by offering a wide range of desk modifications to suit all tastes.
Height is a factor that influences the proper position of your spine as well as the tone of all muscles. To determine the proper height based on your personal parameters, you must stand near the desk and place your hands on its surface.
The desk on which your elbows form a 90-degree angle is the “right” option. To avoid making a mistake with this parameter, many customers prefer a height-adjustable desk, the height of which can be adjusted by pressing a button.
If you work from home and have several children who use the table regularly, buying a height-adjustable desk will be extremely useful. Some options include built-in consoles with mode memory, which eliminates the need to adjust the workstation’s height every time. When you select the saved mode, the desk automatically rises to the desired height.
Each desk modification has its own weight limit. As a result, you should decide what kind of equipment you want on it to avoid overloading.
The material of the desk determines its wear resistance, resistance to external influences, and deformations (spilled coffee, fallen monitor, etc.). On the market, the standing desks are primarily made of:
- Chipboard. It is a low-cost, lightweight material made of wood chips that have been glued into plates with formaldehyde resins.
- Glass. This material is used primarily for desktops. The frame is made from metal. One of its main drawbacks is that it is cold to the touch. Furthermore, if something falls on the surface of such a desk, it will produce a loud rumble.
- MDF. It is constructed from fine wood chips that have been compressed under pressure. The material is consistent and strong.
- Natural wood. It is a sturdy material that will last for decades. Desks made of natural wood are quite expensive.
- Plastic. It is a lightweight and smooth material. Nonetheless, it is not impervious to damage.
- Metal. Manufacturers typically use aluminium and steel with a matte finish to construct a standing desk.
As you can see, there is a wide variety of standing desks on the market. As a result, each customer will be able to find a solution that meets their needs and budget.
Hayley Mann is a technology enthusiast specializing in automation methods of ergonomics devices. Her engineering background helps her to create interesting articles on technical topics, making them understandable for all readers.