Renting a storage unit would be a perfect move for storing extra belongings temporarily. Usually, people rent storage units during home renovation or when embarking on an adventure. Various life events trigger the need for renting a self-storage unit.
It raises the question of how much does the average storage unit cost? The cost of a storage unit is a top consideration for many. Most people look up storage unit prices online to get the best deals.
How Much Does the Average Storage Unit Cost?
First off, an individual has to pay rent on a monthly basis depending on the size and type of the container. These storage units in dickinson nd vary in size, from 4×5 feet to 300 square feet. Irrespective of what you intend to store, a vehicle, a few extra belongings, or a whole household full of packed boxes, there is likely a storage unit suitable to your needs.
On average, the storage unit rental prices fall within the following range
- The average rental cost for a storage unit is $180.
- The storage unit rental costs range between $75 to $300.
Another major price difference is due to the type of storage unit being rented. For instance, a person will have to pay higher for a climate-controlled storage unit than a standard one.
- Standard Storage Unit – Standard storage units cost anywhere between $60-$180 a month.
- Climate-Controlled Storage Unit – Climate-controlled storage units are a bit expensive, typically costing $75 to $225 per month.
Average Rental Cost of Storage Unit By Size
Understandably, the monthly cost for storage units will be more than for smaller units. The cost nearly doubles when you rent a storage unit with significant square footage.
Standard Storage Unit
- 5×5 – A small storage unit will cost $60 per month.
- 5×10 – A renter is expected to pay $70 for a month.
- 10×10 – A 10×10 standard storage unit costs around $110.
- 10×15 – Average monthly price would be $130 per month.
- 10×20 – The large unit cost roughly $180.
Climate-Controlled Storage Unit
- 5×5 – Average monthly price for a small storage unit is around $75.5×10 – This medium-sized unit costs $88 and can fit one small bedroom item.
- 10×10 – It has an average monthly rent of $138.
- 10×15 – This storage unit can even fit a compact car and costs around $163.
- 10×20 – The monthly cost for larger units is approximately $225
Factors Affecting the Cost of the Storage Unit
- Facility Type – The prices of storage units depend on indoor storage, outdoor storage, standard, and climate-controlled storage. Also, it depends on the type of features available. Mainly, a renter gets three facility options: managed storage, self-storage, and peer-to-peer storage.
- Location – There is a high demand for storage units in urban areas, therefore, the rental cost is high. Rent a storage unit in less populated areas to save cost.
- Size – Smaller units are more affordable than large ones. Decide the items you want to store and rent the unit with the right square footage. Organize the items efficiently to maximize space.
- Lastly, storage unit prices vary depending on the location and availability. Fortunately, many storage facilities run specials and promotions or offer free first month deals.